I have always loved taking pictures on vacation and I recently purchased a camera that I think is a great camera for travelers. Especially for families who are already caring extra stuff for kids, like diaper bags, strollers and whatever kids need. The camera, a Canon Powershot SX70 HS 4K Video Ready, is a great camera for travelers because it is compact and complete and can take great shots up close of the kids, and has a great zoom option for parades or wild life enthusiasts.
First let me say, I am not a photographer or a camera expert. I am not pretending to be an expert on either of these subjects. What I do know about is how to help families take great vacations.
So why am I so excited about this camera? To begin with it is what as known as a “bridge camera” which fills the gap between a small point and shoot and the cameras that support changing lens for different picture taking situations. I like it because as much as I love to take pictures, I never seem to have the right lens with me when I want it since I am not one to carry a back pack of lens around with me. I like ease of having a camera that can go from near to far all in one package. That is what makes this a great camera for travelers, you can pack your camera and you are done, you don’t need extra lens to be concerned about. You still get great pictures and have it with you all the time.
Features that Make it a Great Camera for Travelers
The Canon Powershot SX70 is not the only camera in the category, Sony, Panasonic and Nikon all have some great options in this category so I suggest that you do your research. I chose can for the following features, your priorities may be different than mine, so do your research.
- Price – although not a cheap camera, at $4-500 it is about the middle of the price range for these types of cameras.
- It has a 20 Mega pixel sensor and the lens is 21-1365mm-equivalent, f/3.4-6.5. Some of the others had smaller sensors and not as much zoom.
- It uses a smaller 1/2.3-inch sensor which gives you the advantage of a ginormous 65x optical zoom range.
- You still get full manual control, which I have found to be a lot of fun to play with, but I stick to the auto function when on the go or for shots I really want to get.
- It has a fully articulated screen (not a touch screen sadly), a decent electronic viewfinder.
- The ability to shoot in raw format which is nice for editing photos, which I actually know how to do quite well from my graphic artist days.
- It also can transfer photos using Wi-Fi and NFC, so bonus!
- It has a big zoom if, like me you like wildlife pictures.
- It is light and easy to pack and carry, making it a great camera for travelers.
If you are looking for a camera that can be a point and shoot to catch those cute things the kids do, take a quick video of your child’s first encounter with Mickey or take some great shots of whatever you do with your family, this is it.
I bought a package so that I got a few goodies with it. I did my research and then purchased from Amazon, because I knew I could send it back if I was not happy with the product. Click here if you want to see my package.